I’ve been wanting to get another tattoo for the past few years. As happened with my last tattoo after years of thinking , it suddenly became an urgent need.
Step One: Cursory search of google reviews….
Step Two: Pick an artist /studio…
For my first tattoo I basically booked an appointment at a local shop and went in blind to the artist. This time,because I am a responsible human being and because I wanted a specific style I took a look at the first few google results of “tattoo shop in zurich” and looked for artists who specialized in that style.
The nice thing about Giahi is that they host visiting artists pretty regularly. I found Tanis who specialized in the style I was interested in (watercolor by the way 😉 ).
Step Three: Email the artist…
OK , so I was weirdly nervous about this step, but I plucked up the courage and emailed Tanis.
Info in the email:
- where on my body I wanted the tattoo
- a rough idea of what kind of tattoo I wanted (reference picture)
Tanis replied saying she could do the tattoo and asking me to stop by the studio that day. Because I work in Zurich and she was in the Winterthur I replied saying I wasn’t able, then she replied saying I should call the shop.
Then, I called the shop and after a bit more back and forth I was scheduled for an appointment Saturday.
Step Four: Show up!
I showed up, they had a waiver form in German only but with a little help from google translate I was able to get through it.
I brought some water and dates with me in case I needed some sugar. Tanis was super awesome and printed out a few different versions of the design so we could figure out placement and size.
Overall Review: The end result was awesome and Tanis is an amazing artist! Giahi studio was also very nice and comfortable, with tattoo rooms a bit out of the way , which means you don’t have too many random people staring at you while you’re in pain ;).
Things to note about Giahi :
- Forms only in German , so make sure you have google translate handy if your German’s not up to snuff.
- For guests artists they prefer you pay in cash, I had to pop down to the atm and they were understanding, but it might be better to have cash in hand.
- Giahi Winterthur has a cafe in the bottom floor- super handy if you bring along friends or want a bite after you finish your tattoo.
- Friendly and helpful staff who didnt mind speaking English ( thanks guys!)
Tanis comes to Zurich regularly so check her facebook if you are interested in getting a tattoo by her! Link to Tanis