So, I just looked at the calendar and apparently I’ve been living in Switzerland ( Zurich -ish area) for six months. To say it has gone quickly would be the understatement of a century. I’m going to try and keep up with this blog more, but we’ve all heard that before. In case this is my last update for a while here is the just:
- I am now a PhD student, still in engineering but much more science and research focused.
- Surprisingly the pay for a PhD in Zurich is pretty generous so I’m still able to keep roughly the same quality of life I had in Singapore. With less eating out , pricey drinks and mall visits.
- The transition back to being a student is still ongoing, I’m currently suffering a bit of a slump after an initial burst of energy when I first moved. Also, need to learn to self motivate again.
- Work drama exists everywhere *sigh* but I’m working with a good group of people and the work itself is very interesting.
- For the past 6 months I have been living with my SO (lets call him W) in a village outside of the city. Despite this being very cheap , its an hour away from work and I’ve found it very isolating. W and I have decided to live separately for a while and I have found an apartment in the city. I move in this weekend, woot!
- While I am excited to move, the idea not living with my SO was a bit of an adjustment for me but here’s hoping its all for the best.
- I joined a book club 😉 Other than that finding people is still a bit of a challenge. I’ve made a lot of friends at work but am still working on building up my outside-of -work friends, hopefully moving to the city will help with that.
- No , don’t speak German. Yes, this fills me with guilt and yes, I am planning on starting lessons asap.
- Is awesome.
- I have been skiing, hiking camping, swimming and kayaking. All of these things are awesome.
- I bought a foldable kayak ( see link ) it is awesome. I am hoping that once I move to the city I can use it to commute/paddle to work via lake in the morning :).
That’s all the update there is for now. I really will try to update this blog more often, about more interesting , relevant expat-y things, like how to register and change address in Switzerland.