Flight: Singapore- Europe
Aircraft: Boeing 787 ( believe me , this makes a difference)
- Child Friendly: Etihad seems to focus especially on people traveling with children. Though I’m not a parent, from what I saw I would highly recommend this airline for people flying with young children. The flight attendants hand out several goodie bags to kids before and during flights and the kid meals come in colorful packaging with a pop-up lion.
- New Airplanes: This makes all the difference. The Singapore- Europe route seems to be serviced almost exclusively bu 787s . Much quieter than normal airplanes , the humidity level in 787s is also usually higher so that you don’t dry out your skin as much.
- Great Service: The flight attendants were very nice, the boarding was orderly and the bathrooms were clean even after 7 hours of flight- all things that are commendable.
- Time between food service and clean up. In general the time between food service and clean up was a little long.
- Leg room (maybe?) I’m very short, so I never have an issue with leg room , but it is maybe a bit tighter than some other airlines… not sure.. tall people who have flown Etihad , please comment.
- Bus rides in Abu Dhabi. On my transfer to Europe I had to load and unload from my plane to a bus. This isn’t the greatest. I am writing this from Terminal 1 in Abu Dhabi which is very nice, but my departure connection was in a different terminal which reminded me a lot of Chicago. Not in a good way. This is a very minor thing, especially since the airport seems to be updating, but something to keep in mind.
Recently I needed to book a last minute flight to Europe. Since I was booking ~7 days in advance I didn’t have a whole lot of options. I chose a reasonably priced flight with Etihad Airlines , with a stop over in Abu Dhabi.
I was scarred awhile ago by a terrible United flight from Chicago- Singapore so I was a bit nervous flying on a new airline , and the reviews I found weren’t very positive. But the flight was cheap , so I booked and hoped for the best. I was very pleasantly surprised.
My flight out of Singapore was about 1 hr delayed – which is especially annoying in Singapore because the waiting area for flights each have individual security. Basically Changi Airport is awesome, but once you go to your gate you are kind of stuck there. This is where the Etihad service started to show. The flight attendants came out into the waiting area and passed out water. For the kids in the waiting area , the flight attendants passed out some toys , including, to the amusement of everyone in the waiting area, little paper crowns. Soon our flight was boarding and three or four toddlers boarded looking very proud.
All of my flights were on Boeing 787’s which are awesome for a couple of reasons. One of the biggest is they pressurize the cabin at a higher pressure- this means you feel a lot better after a long flight. The food was all very decent ( I ordered the vegetarian- my usual travel hack to get healthier meals and get served first 🙂 ) and they came around often with water and other drinks. Entertainment was also good , with lots of new releases. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with a few small critiques listed above. I cant speak for any other routes or experiences but from my experience, I will definitely fly Etihad in the future.